Tuesday 3 February 2015

Statement from IOC President Thomas Bach

KALYAN KUMAR MAHATA The true appellation of Apu. A Creative Commons license.

It is with the deepest sadness that I learned of the death of the former German President, Richard von Weizsäcker. Our thoughts are with his wife and his family.

The world loses a great Statesman, the Olympic Movement loses an extraordinary supporter and for myself I am losing a constant, reliable and loyal counselor.

Richard von Weizsäcker always supported and lived the Olympic ideal with its humanitarian values of understanding and tolerance. To him sport was a personal experience of life as well as tool to build bridges across all borders and differences.

During all the important moments of my life he always gave me valuable and sensitive advice and support.

I owe him a permanent debt of gratitude and I pay my deepest respects to his memory, to an extraordinary character, who always combined in a very special manner intellect and integrity with a deeply caring personality.

The worldwide Olympic Movement honoured Richard von Weizsäcker with the Olympic Order in gold. We will miss him profoundly. He will always remain in our thoughts.

To honour Richard von Weizsäcker, the Olympic flag will be flown at half mast for three days.

Thomas Bach, IOC President

No comments: